Y33 Ball joints on front lower control arms

Discussion in 'Infiniti/Nissan' started by jubei07, Mar 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jubei07

jubei07 New Member

My ball joints on both front lower control arms are busted and the suspension is making a clunking noise over road imperfections and small bumps. I searched the net and found a few lower control arms with new balljoints installed (complete new arm), for $200-250 each. I was just wanting to replace the balljoints but have not found the ball joints themselves. I am assuming that these are dealer only parts. Local auto parts stores don't even carry them. I was just wondering if someone has already replaced their ball joints or front lower control arms and where did they source the parts.

2. One Ton VIP

One Ton VIP New Member

Are you sure the ball joints are bad? They're usually quite robust. First culprit is usually almost always the tc rods. If it is indeed the ball joints that are your problem, nissan always seems to sell new bjs attached to control arms only. Not sure if 200-250 is high or low for Y33s, but ask around nico, cuz those guys are best at pointing out where to get oem parts cheap

3. jubei07

jubei07 New Member

Yeah the ball joints are bad. Got under the car to do an oil change and noticed that both ball joints boots had dry rotted and all the grease or fluid had leaked out, the ball joints were attached to the front lower control arm. Also when driving, periodically I can hear popping or some weird sound coming from the front suspension. I suspect the previous owner failed to have these greased up or neglected to maintain the balljoints. Never heard it while it was at stock height. When I lowered it, it must have altered the angle of the balljoint and stretched the dry rotted boots of the balljoint. Well it seems that it is covered under my warranty. Hopefully lowering the suspension will not void my warranty, most likely it will...damn. Well I take it in tomorrow. I also checked the TC rods and they are in good condition.

4. audiovisiony33

audiovisiony33 New Member

I have researched my self but you have to buy the whole lower arm to replace the ball joint.
    What year is your Y33? What kind of springs do you have? How many miles? how long after the lowering did you noticed the the noise problem?
    I just bought new pair of lower arms on my 97 Q thinking the pop noise were comming from the ball joint. I replaced them but it was the same and I end up replacing the tension rod (TEIN) and eliminated the problem.
    I should have asked around before I end up spending $500.00 for both pieces at the local dealer.
    My mechanic said ball joint on my old lower arm were fine but since the parts were special order and I couldn't return them, so I end up replacing them with new ones.
    I have a set of used lower arm sitting in my garage up for sale if interested. One ton was right about the Tension rod. If the ball joint is bad there should have free play up/down.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  5. jubei07

jubei07 New Member

2 weeks after lowering I started hearing the popping, visual confirmation that the ball joints were bad happened while doing my oil change. They were dry rotted to hell and the fluid leaked out. I checked the tension rods and they are in great shape, no leakage or cracks. What tension rods are you using S14 Tein??? What is the condition of the ball joint boots, are they dry rotted at all? The popping noise does occur when the car is moving up and down. I have a 2001 Q45 touring w around 74,000 miles.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  6. Q_Ship

Q_Ship New Member

What springs do you have in the car? It may be those popping.

Listen to audiovisiony33. He and I have been through some suspension issues on a Y33.

7. robert are you saying your tein spring noise issues are due to your tension rods ?

did you fix the noise problem?

8. Germanfolks

Germanfolks New Member

Torn boots on balljoints doesnt neccesarily mean bad balljoints. Its not good and could lead to balljoints going bad, but the boot is primarily a dust cover. The ball joint might still be good. And while balljoints do go bad, they are pretty damn stout and shouldnt be bad on newer car.

9. audiovisiony33

No jimmy after I pulled out the teins and re-installed my eibach springs I didn't have any issues with springs noise after that.... Last time we met I had eibach springs in my car.
    Tein spring noise was comming from the top of the struts when I turn but I was hearing deeper low pop noise from the bottom of the suspension when I take off or stop so I thought it was the ball joint. Noise was still there until I replaced the tension rod.
    I'm still trying to sell my tein springs but every time I post for sale at this VIPSTYLECARS Forum it got deleted for the third times so I end up posting at NICOCLUB for sale.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  10. audiovisiony33

If you want I can e-mail you the pics of the lower arms if you are serious about buying them. It's in great shape.No tears or crack in the boots and they are clean from any corrosion.
    I'm in California yes it's Cali car. www.cardomain.com/ride/2316066
    Tension rod I bought was same application as my Z32.
    I can feel every cracks and bump with Tein tension rod but handling is very responsive and tight on the corners. (almost like my Z32)
    My wheels don't move forward and back an inch after the tension rod replacement. I was getting sick of dealer recommend replacing the torn tension rod every time I take it in for an oil change for about a year now.

11. Q_Ship

Q_Ship New Member

In my honest opinion, those tein springs are garbage. I yanked mine.

12. audiovisiony33

I agree with you 200%. Tein never made the springs for FGY33 according to their www.tein.co.jp site.
    Y33 labeled on the box is for PY33 and MY33 not FGY33.
    PY33 and MY33 is V6 model gloria cedric which is 300 lbs.lighter than Q45.
    It fit's but springs are not strong enough to hold extra 300lbs.
    I have ordered Espelir from japan and they have application specifically for FGY33 which is V8 model in japan. I should be getting them anytime now.
    Rear spring rate on the FGY33 is lower than PY33 and MY33 according to www.espelir.co.jp which means rear will sit lower than the Tein springs.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  13. jubei07

jubei07 New Member

Hey thanks man...I bought your springs bro!!! LOL. Honestly I do like the ride, but I have to be in sport mode for it to ride nice. Riding with normal mode it's too bouncy at 80mph especially on a bridge. To me it's a perfect drop, it's very practical. I have like 3" from the bottom of the headers to the asphalt. I would like it an inch lower but only if someone develops headers (that add an inch of clearance) to replace the stock ones. Were you guys running KYB SR Special struts with the Teins? If so then I may consider coilovers later on down the road, judging by your horror stories. Damn, suck that these springs were not calibrated for the FGY33's weight. Oh well, I'm okay for now with the Teins.

14. jubei07

jubei07 New Member

No, it's definately the ball joints. Took it to the dealer and they confirmed they are busted. They did say that it isn't normal and that they are usually pretty tough. Like I said though, mine where dry rotted. When I first installed them never heard popping, just 2 wks after installation did I start hearing the popping. Normally I hear the popping noise when I go over cracks, small bumps, or sudden road imperfections (all at low to moderate speed). Otherwise suspension is pretty quiet.

15. jubei07

jubei07 New Member

Yeah I am interested in seeing the pix and possibly buying them. Not sure if the dealership will actually come through, they did say they'd sell me parts at wholesale price, but you know how that that goes some times...Hopefully they will keep their word. Email me pix to mel.reyes@cit.com, thanks everyone!!!

16. Q_Ship

Q_Ship New Member

BWAHHHHHAAA

Sorry man. But hey, if you're happy with them so am I.

17. audiovisiony33

I'll take some pics over the weekend and I'll e-mail them to you.
    Just hang in there bud....

18. jubei07

jubei07 New Member

So I guess Falk is selling Teins for FY33 and MY33??? Does Falk know that these are for Cedrics and Glorias? So Qship are you still running stock setup or did you go another route?

19. Q_Ship

Q_Ship New Member

Stock for now but trying to piece together a budget bag system.

20. audiovisiony33

Falk is a honest guy I didn't think Falk knew what he was selling because he got an e-mail from an idiot from Tein USA that Part no. SKN76-M1B00 that Falk was supplying will work with Y33 not FGY33.
    When I e-mailed Tein after the noise incident they replied back that they don't make any thing for V8 model and only V8 model they make is for FGY32 4.1 V8.

This is the reply that I got from Tein

Dear Robert,

Thank you for your interest in TEIN High Performance suspension products.

The springs SKN76-M1B00 were designed to work on the JDM PY33/MY33/JHBY33.
    The motor sizes of those vehicles is 3000cc/2500cc/3000cc. It was not designed for the US V8 models, which is why they are not available in the US. For those vehicles in Japan, it should lower the cars ~ 46mm front and 45mm rear.
    Being that is has been designed for the Japanese market, we are unsure of the fitment of these on the US cars, and we have not been able to verify that they do work correctly on the V8models we have here.

If possible, please get us detailed pictures of the springs installed on the vehicle(off the ground and on the ground), along with anymeasurements you can get for ride height.
    The weight of your vehicle, or the US models for that matter, may be the biggest factor in why your springs are compressing fully and causing the noise that you hear.

If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Best regards,
    Sales

Staff @ TEIN USA INC.
    9798 Firestone Blvd.
    Downey, CA 90241
    Phone: (562)861-9161
    Fax: (562)861-9171
    www.tein.com

If you go to www.Espelir.co.jp they have ESN149 specifically made for FGY33 VH41DE and ESN156which is made for President or Q45 on their application chart.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.