Wheel Repair For WORK or AMISTAD wheel

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jubei07, Feb 28, 2007.

1. jubei07

jubei07 New Member

I recently curbed one of my AMISTAD Wheels. I took it to a local wheel repair shop and he fixed the curb rash by sanding and welding. But during the polishing process he realized that the lip had clearcoat or was anodized. The lip looked like chrome or chrome finish. Well now the wheel has a some hazing where it was welded to where the original finish is. He said he could polish the whole lip but could not clearcoart or anodized the lip.

1.) Does anyone know if WORK or AMISTAD wheels have a clearcoat or anodized finish on the lip? If clearcoat or anodized finish is taken off will it be okay or require polishing periodically?

2.) Also not too confident on the local shop's abilities, so could someone direct me to a shop that has done quality repairs on WORK or AMISTAD wheels?

2. One Ton VIP

One Ton VIP New Member

Anodized most likely... more experienced wheel repair shops could repolish the whole lip to a point where it close emulates the original finish (and almost match the other 3). Otherwise, most places would prob just mirror polish the lip and then it'll be way too shiny compared to the other three. Then your best option is to just polish all 4 lips to match

3. Yokotas13

Yokotas13 Banned

what an even better reason to get them polished

4. Dominik

Dominik VSC Super Moderator

I'm pretty sure thats what the repair shop did for my wheels when repairing the rash - polished them up so it matches the shine on the clearcoated section. The line where the lip starts curving out is where he started the polish, so its almost impossible to tell its not part of the original finish (until it gets dirty)

5. jubei07

jubei07 New Member

I sent the wheel to a more reputable wheel shop, Wheels America http://www.fixrim.com/ in Miami and that is exactly what they said they could do and it would pretty much match the inner lip / barrel section. Thanks for the advise guys.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  6. autofashionELROY

autofashionELROY New Member

work wheels have an anodized polish w/ a clear coat finish. so if you'd want it to match exactly you'd have to get all 4 done.

7. hahajoey

hahajoey New Member

keep in mind if you polish off your rims.
    your lip will now look like a HRE or iFORGE!
    it'll get hazy if u dont periodically polish them
    by hand.. and dirt/grime/water sticks to them
    unlike how they used to be..

brakedust FOR SURE won't come off as easy as
    when they were originally clear anodized

8. jubei07

jubei07 New Member

Well the repair has been completed and the wheel looks good as new. They only polished outer lip where is starts to bend not the entire barrel. It looks great and unnoticable. What can be done to maintain or clean anodized lips???

9. ACleanSC4

ACleanSC4 New Member

Anodized lips should be wiped with some soapy water or non-abrasive liquid/compound and dried. I don't think you need to use any metal polishes because it will damage the anodizing. Only with polished lips would you need to use some elbow grease + metal polish to bring to new again...

Someone correct me if i'm wrong there...

10. Dominik

Dominik VSC Super Moderator

I said this in another thread. Wash with HOT water so it just evaporates right off. It feels nice to wash with hot water too :)

11. david_h

david_h New Member

Work rims come mirror polished then clear coat annodised.

It's an awesome finish on the wheel and one that 99.9% of wheel repair shops can't replicate.
    If you mirror polish them rim it won't match the others and is likely to corrode very very quickly unless you constantly polish them with metal polish.

Here in Europe we have an authorised Work repair outlet that we send the wheels to get repaired, it's not mega expensive. I'm sure if you contact the main Work dealer in your area they must operate something similar in the US.