VIP-inspired Audi S8 D2, what's done and what's next.

Discussion in 'Euros' started by 71camaro, Jun 3, 2013.

1. 71camaro

71camaro New Member

FOR ANYONE VIEWING THIS POST, WAITING ON A MOD TO APPROVE MY REPLIES WITH FURTHER WORK AND PICS

Hey guys, I'm fairly new here on VSC, been on VWVortex and Stanceworks for years. I started out with a 1971 Camaro, built that from the ground up, was a rusted shell when I got it, ended up like this:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Then I built my Scirocco, ended up like this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I got my S8. I hadn't messed with air suspension before, but I knew it was right for a car of this nature and that I wanted to go with a VIP look with the build.

When I bought the car it was from the second owner, who'd had it since 2004 (car is a MY2003). It was pretty well maintained, save a crack in the rear bumper and a few small electrical issues (power headrests in rear, parking sensor out, things like that).

Upon purchase:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was slow getting moving on the project, but knew the general direction I wanted to take the car, a blend of classic Euro-look with a strong VIP influence.

I ordered Bagyard Supreme front struts and classic rears from Bagriders. I also ordered Accuair E-Level. Several months into the project the Bagyard product was nowhere to be seen and Bagriders was struggling to communicate with them. I didn't know what to do or where to turn, then I saw an entry on Stanceworks about Airlift Universal Crafter struts. I called Bagriders and asked what they thought of these. They said the product was excellent, and dampening adjustable, with much easier to deal with customer service. The problem was I'd have to cut up the stock struts for parts and have some things (like mounting tabs) tig-welded. No bother, I ordered these and Slam Specialties rear bellows for my car and set to work.

I knew I'd need to engineer some rear bag mounts and I was none too sure how to design them, then I ran across Dorbritz Designs and their rear bag mounts for VW mk5 platform cars. I studied their solution and determined I'd take a similar route, albeit with some changes to match the chassis. I bought some schedule 80 pipe in the correct diameters and some 1/4" steel plate and set to work.

Here, the bags:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These bags are the Slam Specialties SS-5.
    The brackets are fairly complex. First we'll discuss the lower mount and how it'll fit over the peg on the control arm. I'm using pipe as a base. It is Schedule 80 (1/4" wall thickness) with an inner diameter of 1 7/8". I cut to 1 1/8" length which is just tall enough to clear the peg while also allowing a mounting bolt for the bag to pass. Here is the lower "pipe" for the lower mount:

[​IMG]

And the "peg":

[​IMG]

I notched it to fit over a key of sorts that is found on the peg on the control arm. This allows it to sit flat, prevents turning or twisting, and keeps the base exactly centered. I may add some material around the base as a "foot" of sorts but it isn't necessary.

The bags are the same size on both the top and bottom mounting plate. Therefore I cut four identical bases (two for top and two for bottom, or one for each side on both top and bottom) for the mounting brackets. To do that I marked a sheet of 1/4"hardened steel I had in the same diameter as the base of the bags. I then marked center and punched it. After hitting the center with the punch we used a bit and drilled the center:

[​IMG]

Then we cut the sheet off close to the marking and placed it on this rig we devised:

[​IMG]

That's a couple 2x4 pieces of wood with the drill bit run into it. Once that was together we slid some washers over the drill bit and then placed the at present square piece of steel onto it. The table we were using has a vice on it so we placed a cutting torch into the vice and fired it up. Then, with the torch set to cut we spun the steel plate on the wood/washers/drill bit to get a circular "pad" to mount the bags onto.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That process gave a circle but it had a lot of waste and slag so we chucked a grinder into the vice and cleaned them up:

[​IMG]

You get something like this:

[​IMG]

I gave these plates to my grandfather, who has a machine shop. He cut a notch to allow the air fitting to pass and drilled the holes for mounting bolts. The bottom plate will only be able to have one bolt to mount but has three holes so I welded guide pins for two of the three bolt holes. The top gets two bolts into it and those won't be an issue.

The top mount slides over this:

[​IMG]

I'm using 3 inch inner diameter Schedule 80 (1/4" wall thickness) here. Cut to 2 inches it slides over perfectly and allows room for the air-line fitting.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  2. 71camaro

71camaro New Member

Once that was done I cut the mounting points off my front struts, bought some hardened rod, and sent everything to my welder (a friend's father).

Here was the result:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I installed everything and built my trunk setup. Initially I wanted an exposed tank but then decided to hide everything in the spare tire well.

[​IMG]

You'll notice the primer on the fender. I had decided I wanted the repeaters shaved as well, and had them welded up. The whole, body, frame, etc., is aluminum so I farmed that out to the same welder then completed the bodywork on my own.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. 71camaro

71camaro New Member

I also wanted some improved audio. The highs and mids sound excellent with the Bose system, but depth in the low-frequency ranges was lacking. I researched sound quality subs that were affordable and happened upon this Infinity unit. I liked the look and decided to go with it. Here it is installed. Note all the air components are hidden.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What then of wheels? I had been looking for a full-faced wheel and hadn't found much I liked, then I found the AME Shallen AX. Welded multi-piece, they certainly weren't common as I searched. I found a set in 19x9.5, 19x12, ets 10 and 20. They were in Seattle though. I had them shipped out and refinished them with mirror-polished lips and brushed aluminum centers.

In the interior I decided to upgrade my wood trim to carbon fiber and had that wrapped by a company called oCarbon. I also installed an Audi RNS-E navigation unit, AUX input, a reversing cam that interfaces with the unit, and bluetooth/Speech Dialogue System (allows for voice commands to the unit). I also added some subtle ambient lighting under the dash and seats that is powered when the headlights are on. Finally I added the rear seat refrigerator, a European option that wasn't offered here. It fits two wine bottles, or whatever else. A guy in Tacoma had the only one in the States and was willing to sell.

I found a guy in Canada with a full Alcantara suede headliner swap and had him bring it to H2O International, a VW/Audi show that's a pretty big deal.

My headrests are at an upholstery guy getting monitors installed, again with as OEM an install as possible.

On the outside I swapped the trunk to a European-market unit (different plate tub and surround) and have purchased bi-xenon lamps to install (they're split and I'm refurbishing them first). Here's a look at them on another, quite similar car in the UK:

[​IMG]

They match the lines of the car well I think. I'm eventually retrofitting the fogs to projector, and am presently building LED taillight clusters, going for the early Cadillac look with the very even light distribution.

I installed proximity locks and a push to start setup recently as well:

[​IMG]
    I plan on wrapping a few more interior items in leather, and possibly adding massage function, but otherwise am done on the interior. The exterior may get a respray in the same black, but otherwise is done getting bodywork.

The final changes to the car may be a manual trans swap and some form of boost, but those aren't finalized by any means yet.

4. 71camaro

71camaro New Member

Finally, here are some photos since the car has been back on the road:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. brainneeded

brainneeded Active Member

pretty cool, nice to see custom fab stuff!

6. 71camaro

71camaro New Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Wish my other posts were up, finished result is quite nice I think.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  7. 71camaro

71camaro New Member

I'll repost the rest of the build photos shortly, but here's the results:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. Juzzo

Juzzo VSC Super Moderator

All fixed now. Nice build so far, what's you planning next?

9. 71camaro

71camaro New Member

Right now a lot of the interior is out getting wrapped, so there's that. I'm also experimenting with a supercharger sourced from the Cadillac STS-V. It's an Eaton M122 unit and looks to be adaptable to the Audi engine.

Also, getting the new headlights in is a priority, and building the LED tails (I've been working on them slowly for about a year).

10. sojah

sojah Member

i love that rear stance on the s8... that camaro is sick too, but that rear stance on the s8 is killer, good work man...

11. blackanese

blackanese New Member

I absolutely love it. Great job

12. openthrottle

openthrottle New Member

Nice and clean. Good job on it! Always loved those Audi's.

13. alpha

alpha New Member

nice! i like:)

14. projecty33

projecty33 New Member

MMmmmmm tasty

15. snoop562

snoop562 New Member

sick:biggthumpup:

16. MaxiNone

MaxiNone New Member

dang, transporter status lol

17. jeebus

jeebus Active Member

Nice progress on the audi.

Dope Camaro as well.

18. Dranom

Dranom VSC Super Moderator

Looks great!

19. romeo291

romeo291 New Member

Wow that camaro is badass! The Audi is very nice too, I like all the custom work. Nice job man! Definitely a quality build.

20. lowlifeflipside

lowlifeflipside New Member

wow, that looks great. Ive always loved b5 s8's