UAS over BC Racing Coilovers

Discussion in 'Wheels and Suspension' started by illest, Jan 22, 2013.

1. illest

illest New Member

I've read a few in the past about different setups people are running and it seems as if bags over coils seem to be the favor and overall flexibility. I have an 04 lexus ls430 and it dawn on me on a few different matters and brought up some questions if I can get some experts to answer for me....

My installation is being formed in a few days...and I was wanting to know:
    1. What settings should I have them tune my dampering to? (32 adjustables I believe they are set to max out the box?)
    2. I am planning on riding low in general even though I am on air
    3. I daily my car

Any help I would greatly appreciate it!! btw they are UAS over BC Racing

2. tommiedred

tommiedred New Member

The ride height will determine the damper setting. so set your ride height/spring rate, drive around & see what feels best to you. when i had my 430 i stared at 10 & worked my way up anything under 10 was too soft imo.. good luck.

3. OG

OG Active Member

the purpose of damping is to disappate the energy created by the compression/rebound of the spring (or air spring in this case), not to act as suspension. i've been setting everything at minimum damping for a while now, for comfort's sake.

4. AustinY

AustinY New Member

While on this topic, figure I'd ask something that was going through my head, when I get the LS400, also planning on doing bags over coils, and most likely going with BC, do you guys go with stock valving or request anything different?

5. OG

OG Active Member

i tend to go with +2k for every -20mm. length dpends on application. i very rarely order stock setups.

6. AustinY

AustinY New Member

Thanks OG, guess I need to do some thinking about what my ride height will be.

7. illest

illest New Member

thanks !! when I had my TL it was set minimal ..I preferred it overall considering i like to ride pretty low in general..think that's probably what I'll end up doing.

8. HangLoose

HangLoose New Member

Wouldn't +2k only matter with springs? Would -20mm length reduction still be fine while running on bag? Does it work as if i ran more air pressure or something?

9. OG

OG Active Member

you are correct, the valving is matched to the spring rate. i wasn't paying attention. however, even when ordering coilovers that will be used with bags i use the same formula.

that's one of the things about bags, the variable psi makes it impossible to have correct valving at all heights. it's also hard to say what valving is right at what psi because they (psi & spring rate) are 2 different type of measurrment. there is no conversion.

10. why33black

why33black New Member

I have a question for you experts out there. Ive got a set of JIC's with blown shocks. Could I mod them for bags and still have a decent ride quality? Im trying to find a way to use them so I don't have to throw them out.

11. Mr.Doback

Mr.Doback New Member

You want to put bags over blown struts? Thats not a bright idea with anything. Get them rebuilt then add UAS.

12. why33black

why33black New Member

I would but I don't know where I can get them rebuilt. I should probably scrap them, thanks for your reply

13. Speed

Speed Member

Check yaj (yahoo auction japan) for the shocks and upgarage may have luck there.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

14. cheez80

cheez80 New Member

ship 'em to feal suspension in ontario, ca. they can rebuild them for you

15. why33black

why33black New Member

yeah thanks.......WTF you sold me blown coilovers but thanks for those Mark Twain words of wisdom.

16. Speed

Speed Member

Welcome, I was helping my homie sell coils , don't be blaming me all I did was help him that's it .

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

17. joecurr

joecurr New Member

Question, is there a preferred spring length the coilovers should be built for to get maximum drop? The reason I ask is because someone with a 6.5gen Maxima (OG may be familiar with this) put UAS bags on his -20mm BC coils, which would put the front spring length at about 6", and it seems his front can barely tuck tire if at all. If I went with air I'd be pretty upset if I was lower static. I'm not sure if it has to do with the minimum height of the bag and brackets or something else. Does the spring length make any difference in the amount of drop you can achieve at full low? If it does, would the normal BC coils with a 7" spring get lower than the -20mm extreme drops? I still have my normal ones, and if I go air I'm trying to see if I can just put UAS bags on these or if I should look into other options like Airrex, KSport, etc. Also, if the length does matter, what are the pros and cons of shorter and longer lengths?

18. FLSImages

FLSImages New Member

it works like this

The UAS bags have an internal stop at 4"
    They are extended at 9"

that gives you a theoretical free weight travel of 5"

Now this number is given you have 5 inches of suspension travel (doubt you do)
    then add any preload given to the bag for driving style
    then add weight on the corner that comrpesses the bag also

so really, you have 3-4 inches of travel
    [​IMG]
    IMG_9669 by Flsimages, on Flickr

19. 33flavors

33flavors VSC Super Moderator

you are a cool guy after all - good info grant

20. OG

OG Active Member

to add to this, your theoretical 5" is dependant on the stroke of your damper. the coilover must be set up so that the 4" bumpstop bottoms out at the same time as, or preferably a little before, the damper. this is why I don't recommend shortened dampers for uas setups. most of the time you only take away from the lift range, the overall length remains the same at compression.