Timeless or Trendy?

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Avantgarde, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Avantgarde

Avantgarde VSC Super Moderator

I've been going back and forth about redoing my interior inserts with quilted stitching.

When i do my car, I try to be as Classic as possible so that in 15 years time I can look back at my car and think "wow, that car was sexy then and would still be sexy today"

Looking at quilt stitched interiors, I can't decide if they're trendy or classic... in my gut i feel like it's Trendy and that I'll hate it after a few months.

What do you think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. a.blanco0905

a.blanco0905 New Member

IMO it's a classic thing...

3. khanhdom

khanhdom New Member

how is it trendy?

4. brainneeded

brainneeded Active Member

it's been done for decades past and will be for decades to come. classic.

5. Avantgarde

Trendy usually goes with things that pop.

Whether by design or by accident things that add complicated tones, textures or accessories to a car generally can be dated to a point in time when they were popular... at least that's how I used to see...

26s on Box Caprices? Can be dated
    Excessive Camber? Can be dated
    Window Curtains and Wood Tables on dashboards? Can be dated...

Don't see too many VIP cats out there nowadays with Dash tables anymore. At least I haven't seen them in the books lately.

You're right Bentley, Aston Martin, Ferrari and Mercedes were doing it in the 60s, But mercedes and Ferrari also were putting Grant steering wheels and Plaid luggage in their cars at that time too. Not too many guys out there with Plaid luggage these days (unless it's burberry... which too has become a bit of a trendy "print" to use)

I like the quilted Stitch a lot....

A lot!

But Things that I like a LOT generally get played when you see it too much... Nothing about a soft looking slightly gathered leather seat screams "played out"
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  6. khanhdom

khanhdom New Member

quilted stitching has been around for a long time, and if it's been this long, don't think it's trendy. Do what you want though, and not so worried about the label.

7. Avantgarde

I agree, I'm not so much worried about the label, but whether it'll get old to me LOL! You know can you see this being in style forever or is it something that goes in cycles like Skinny Jeans/Pants and the 808 Kick.

hot in the mid 70s, in the mid 80s, and the early 2010s... goes in cycles. LOL!

Screw it, you know... Not everybody is going to do it... It should be interesting inside and out... I guess I'll consider it as a good thing to be just different enough not to look stock, but not so outlandish that it looks silly like "Fucci" print.

8. PANCAKES!

PANCAKES! Most hated - DIVA...!

It's like Ordans

Always gonna be classic, always gonna look good
    I'm starting to see alot of VIP builds go w/ diamond and IMO it's starting to get cheesy/trendy but you can't hate on it because when done right, shit will always look good.

When you start to see just about every VIPbuild do this interior it starts to become trendy IMO.......i'd rock it though, fuck it LOL!

9. Y34-619

Y34-619 Member

Cars are still rockin curtains and tables in all the new vipcar mags timeless vipcar accessories IMO. You dont see many of cars in the states with them because they dont have a US version of the tables. Most tables are made for right hand drive cars =)

10. Avantgarde

Exactly Pancakes... that's how I felt LOL!

Y34, you're right... they are hard to come by on this side of the pond i guess.

Anyhoo, I still like the Idea of curtains, never really was sold on the Table thing... at least not in the front, the rear seat trays like in the Vanden Plas, and other Euro Luxury cars (Sclass benz etc.) make excellent additions.

I got a second opinion and they agreed that it was "gaudy" but it was a good gaudy... something that you could look back on and say "damn that looks good" because it's just different enough not to be obnoxious...

I still like it, let's just hope i continue to like it LOL! gonna do it, but It's gotta be big quilts like the Bentley, no small prints like the GTR at the bottom.

11. PANCAKES!

PANCAKES! Most hated - DIVA...!

Besides Fusa's, pretzels....curtains & tables are the BIGGEST trends in the VIPscene

That's why you see everything from civics to camery's tryna rock them to make their cars a lil more "VIPstyled"

Curtains can't be considered a classic because it's still a fairly new trend
    It's not one of those items that was always around in the scene

12. Slo N Lo Benzo

Slo N Lo Benzo New Member

Well, diamond(tuck) and square(tuck) are def. classic and timeless. They were around in 50's, 70's and again lately. Those earlier versions had sometimes 2" thick foam so stitching was barely visible and tucked in further, but diamonds will always be around. As far as curtains, they've been around as OEM special order options in Benz and other euro brands since the 60's and in fact I've been searching for some for my W126 Benzes but no luck. Yeah if you do it go for the bigger diamonds with double stitching similar to Bentley. Later.

13. speedaddict

speedaddict bippu cowboy

Its gotta be done right in my opinion. I see a lot of people just do their inserts and single stitching. It doesn't give you the puffy look that diamond stitch should have. Some do the double stitch too far apart. Double diamond stitch should also have a nice french seam on the seat as well...as seen in your bently post...this is just my opinion though...

14. Rodneyc77

Rodneyc77 New Member

I really like the diamond pattern... whether it's single stitch or double. However, the "puffy" /Quilted look has nothing to do with the stitch, but more to do with the sewing pad underneath it.

15. speedaddict

speedaddict bippu cowboy

the padding...but the stitch comes out more "puffy" with the double stitch no? At least that's what my interior guy was telling me. He ran one with single and one with double...there was definitely a difference but I'm no interior expert and what you said makes sense

16. OG

OG Active Member

i think it can be both. trends resurface all the time, often from classic inspiration. the quilting itself is classic, the common use of it in vip cars could be considered trendy. in the end it looks good and that's what really matters.

the difference between single and double is that the double offers more seperation between the shapes. looks better imo.

17. speedaddict

speedaddict bippu cowboy

which would give it more definition on the shapes...makes sense.

18. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

just like how they remake timeless movies...just better (sometimes)

19. cheez80

cheez80 New Member

there's historical precedent for diamond stitching -- they've been doing it since the dawn of aviation on leather to keep it from stretching, which is cool imo. diamond stitching is cool for the sheer baller factor, haha. local leatherworker quoted me an insane price on doing that

20. Green Poupon

Green Poupon New Member

Very very interesting. I did not know that.

What'd they quote you?