Tanabe Super Low Form Damper Coilovers from Japan *Pics!*

Discussion in 'Wheels and Suspension' started by Big C, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Big C

Big C New Member

My roommate just ordered these for his LS400. Since Tanabe USA doesn't sell them we ordered directly from Japan and got them in about 5 business days and paid air freight shipping which is really expensive because they just exceeded the maximum weight in kg for 1 package so we had to split it up into 2 pkgs. Either way, for what you get I think these coilovers are reasonably priced.

These coilovers are popular in Japan with VIP guys that don't want to run air suspension. To my knowledge there isn't another coilover out there quite like this one. These are built for people that want to roll slammed all the time but have suspension actually valved for super high spring rates. They feature a much shorter stroke than other coilovers and are built with a higher build quality so they can handle the added stress. Each one of these coilover kits is designed specifically for each car, not some universal shock body and just random spring rates like most cheaper coilovers.

My friend went with the "hard" option which is 26kg front and 20kg rear spring rates. The normal kit is 24kg and 18kg for the UCF20.

We are installing them this Saturday afternoon and I can't wait to see how they end up riding. I have a feeling they will ride awesome. The spring rates are really stiff but if the valving is correct it will make for a good ride.

He currently has Ksport coilovers which have been on the car about a year.

I will take more pics during the install to compare.

Here are a few pics I snapped right when they came in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Installed on car and ride height dialed in:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  2. ScottyTuned

ScottyTuned VSC Super Moderator

Looks sick! Cant wait to see it on!

3. Brokey33

Brokey33 New Member

Seriously
    You're a good sales man chris, they sound like quality. Let us know how they ride
    And nice pics as always =)

4. dirtygs

dirtygs New Member

wow those springs look mad beefy.. im sure they look like theyre built for the task..

5. genetic

genetic New Member

These look like a well built coilover. $1800 is not too bad including the shipping and all. Hope he chimes in on the end result when you guys are finished putting them in.

Take some pictures of your friends car :)

I am a big fan of it and the kleids

6. Big C

Big C New Member

Thanks man!

Yeah, $1800 is not bad at all. I wish they made them for my car (350z) but I gotta look into either JIC or Zeal.

My friend doesn't really post on forums so I'll post up more when its finished.

More pics for sure :biggthumpup:

7. chrispy

chrispy Active Member

How do you find out about them if they're not listed on Tanabe's website? I wonder if they make them for the GS.

8. Big C

Big C New Member

It helps when your friend speaks Japanese =)

Yes, they make them for the GS and pretty much all Lexus models and some Infiniti.

Link removed. please use approved vendors supporting VSC.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2010
  9. Yokotas13

Yokotas13 Banned

i might start getting these things

10. Jedidiah

Jedidiah New Member

I predict another option coming out stateside in the not too distant future...

11. blackanese

blackanese New Member

those look great and the spring rates are exactly what i would want. teeth jarring stiff.

12. phrosttz0

phrosttz0 New Member

some serious spring rates, but gotta have em to roll dumped

13. Big C

Big C New Member

If you're in Japan it should be cake. Way cheap over there too!

I would hope so but the states always get shafted with the cool products. More of a demand for it in Japan.

I'll let you know how they ride. We're installing them tomorrow afternoon.

Yes sir.....I think this is the suspension to have. Megan, Ksport and even Tein etc don't go this stiff.

14. 4play4dr

4play4dr New Member

damn those spring rates are nuts!! even high spring rates cant stop speed bumps tho haha..i think speed bumps will stop u..japan barely has any speed bumps tho right? either way..daily driving on these should be nuts

15. MR.J

MR.J New Member

interesting.
    need to hit up tanabe.

so these are bag friendly?

16. ILLESTG35

ILLESTG35 New Member

what website did u order from

17. phrosttz0

phrosttz0 New Member

post #8

18. nissannewb

nissannewb New Member

Im pretty sure you'll get a great ride with the super low set up.

I used to have a 98 GS400 with Tein Flexs dummmped....and my spring rate up front was 16K and 12K in the rears....the car rode verrrrry noice. However, the suspension was still too soft for how dumped I was......wish I knew about these coils before I got the Flexs.

Definitely post up pics! :biggthumpup:

19. knguyen

knguyen New Member

Do they make it for the ucf10? I checked the website but didnt find anything.

20. Big C

Big C New Member

Finished the install tonight. Definitely not as stiff as we were thinking they'd be. Totally streetable. Stiffer and better ride than the Ksport's for sure. Ride quality is awesome. Probably not for everyone though.

Like all LS/GS the front upper control arm hits the body cause of the ride height so we're probably just gonna cut some holes for clearance.

I'll post some more pics tomorrow.