suede vs. microfiber (opinions)

Discussion in 'Interior' started by OG, Feb 5, 2008.

1. brainneeded

brainneeded Active Member

i know this is a bit offtopic, but i kinda wanted to try my hand are rewrapping my headliner with a diamond stitched material, anyway to do it myself or would i have to buy the material? i do have pretty decent sewing equipment @ my house. i probably will try this myself one day, but just wanted to see if anyone has done it themself.

2. OG

OG Active Member

naw... i made this post when i was working on the maxima. we all know how that one ended. still got the material (plenty of it) and i may go red/black 2 tone or stick with the cream/black but with some personal touches. :dunno:

3. Green Poupon

Green Poupon New Member

Diamond stitching is extremely hard to do right. To do it on a headliner and get it to be uniform over everything would be quite challenging. Try looking around online for "Diamond tuck" it's prestitched so it saves you a unbelievable amount of time. That you could do easily. You have to use 2x strength headliner glue (and a good amount of it) to get it to hold. Don't forget to spray both the fabric and the headliner, wait 60 seconds, and then lay it down. You get one chance. Work from one corner outward.

Well if you want any help you can always shoot me a PM. You should go red and black. Many cars come stock with black and tan but red... :biggthumpup:

4. burgy

burgy New Member

Any pics of said material?

5. OG

OG Active Member

lots of cars may come black/tan but i would definitely consider my interior unique as far as oem goes.

[​IMG]

it kind of depends on the direction i take or even stages. i'd like to get it lookin nice, old school, oemish first. then when/if i do paint and what have you i would probably want red.

just for fun:

[​IMG]

none specifically of the material but i have used it as a backdrop for some macros.

[​IMG]

color got washed out when i uploaded it.

6. 20sburning

20sburning New Member

I had microfiber in my merkur and loved it
    [​IMG]

7. Green Poupon

Green Poupon New Member

[​IMG]

Is that a picture of your stock interior?? If so that looks freakin awesome. The red version looks even better!

8. OG

OG Active Member

yup... stocktastic!

9. Green Poupon

Green Poupon New Member

Well dang then I guess all you really need to do is fix that armrest ;)

I really had no idea they offered interiors like that. Lexus hasn't offered anything even close to that (in terms of color and useage) until just recently.

10. OG

OG Active Member

it's somewhat rare from what i understand and only 90-93 iirc.

the same things that made the q a flop in comparison to the ls in the early 90s are what's gonna make it a classic imo. it was a pretty unconventional approach at a flaghship luxury car for the u.s. but when you get past (or in my case fall in love with) the cosmetics it really is a bad a** car. then engine, suspension, and fit of the car are very nice.

11. Green Poupon

Green Poupon New Member

I have always liked your generation. In its stock form it's pretty unique (and kinda ugly with all respect, just the face not the rear or side profile) but a president conversion morphs it into a early 90's super bad ass sedan that when modded, in my opinion, can go toe to toe with ANY car from that era (bentley's and benz's included) regardless of mods. The early presidents consistently make me go "WOW!" when pics are posted up here.

12. OG

OG Active Member

i actually bought a 90 because it was so ugly and i thought if i bought a 94-96 i would end up not wanting to do a president conversion. it happened anyway. i don't think i'll convert the 90 but with 1g q's going for what they do i may get another one eventually.

iit's funny cause with everything happening in vip right now (i.e. fast and furious 5: tokyo luxury) i find myself looking at older big bodies. i'd like to scoop a 90 ls pretty soon and of course the almighty w140.

13. Green Poupon

Green Poupon New Member

Ah the 140, if you juice it and put a chevy small block in it from the start you avoid %99 of the issues you will run into. Great car just so unreliable :( LS, S, take the emblem off the grill and they are all the same haha I was looking through the FNF5 tokyo boop thread and between the crowns and the LS's and the S's from ~94-98 they all look quite similar.

You aren't going to convert your Q to the president?? I though you were all about it. I've been warming up to the non-president face the last 6 months or so, with your LED skills I bet you could do something serious with the headlights and mix it up a little.

14. OG

OG Active Member

i was all about it. it's pretty hard to explain without goin all homo. i just grew to really like the car as it is. i would also love to have a president though so the obvious is get 2. :dunno:

no leds plans for the headlights but the taillights is another story.

15. Green Poupon

Green Poupon New Member

^ I figured that was the case. What's nice about the old platforms is no matter which one you build your budget will be roughly the same and the car two, maybe three grand so you really get the freedom to pick whatever you really want.

Plus ain't nothing wrong with 2 infiniti's. If one starts giving you problems or you are running out of space you can always akira assimilate one into the other and make the uberQ.

Just buy the president headlights and some sheet metal, I bet you could get them in there in a weekend.

16. OG

OG Active Member

ha ha... 3 grand my a**. you can pick up a q for $3k (i bought mine for $900) but you're gonna be spendin a grip on maintenance if you do it right. i've spent f50 money on a g50 that pretty much looks stock + drop. it's kinda ridiculous. luckily my situation is improving and if i bought another i would have the time and space to do more repairs myself. just buying a 94-96 vs. a 90 would save me some cash in the long run too.

if/when i do do a pres conversion it will be complete, core support and all. no cut corners for me. that's just the kind of thing that bothers me even if it doesn't matter to anyone else.

17. Green Poupon

Green Poupon New Member

Maintenance on a old car? I know nothing about that ;) At least your car is made by rational asian people instead of the germans. I do all the maintenance it needs and it still has the audacity to insult me by having the 22 year old backlit digital outside temperature gauge work flawlessly when the cruise control and radio do not function at all.

Ya I feel ya on that. I was thinking more along the lines of if you didn't want the full conversion then doing the headlights could be a interesting hybrid. You know like "I don't want the Fabulous GS kit but i'll use the grill". I too am not down with cutting corners, which is why neither of my cars are built. They are actually de-building themselves but thats a whole other story.

The 94-96 is just so plain though. The 90 has that luxury bastard child that makes it OOZE with character. I like the side profile of the 94-96's, and the rear come to think of it, but the fronts give an acura vibe, I dunno thats just me.

Regardless I just want to see your shit get built. I feel like you and I are in a similar situation where we know what we want to do, we know how to do it, but time/money/space/whatever is holding us back.

Honestly your car is so clean you could just paint the body cladding black and put some HID's in and call it a day. Well maybe some LED's too, and a license plate frame, perhaps a grill too. As it stands it has an era-correct look to it that makes it so, so classy. I'd rather drive your car around then either of mine in the state they are in. Do you still have those nissans? You should sell those and grab another infiniti. But I can understand keeping them for sentimental reasons.

What you really should do, is spray the inside of your windows with water, then tape a garbage bag over it, and let it sit in the sun for a few hours. That'll take the purple tint right off haha I didn't know that method worked when I pulled the purple tint in my benz. I did it with a heatgun and razorblade. Took 5 hours. I was so fucked up from the fumes I backed out of the garage straight into the garage door rail. *sigh*

18. OG

OG Active Member

rational? :smiley-rofl:

shoehornin' a decent sized v8 into a not so decent sized engine bay? putting tousands of dollars of coolant/vacuum hoses essentailly right on the engine?

electrical has never been a problem in any of my nissans though. the bose radio didn't work of course, but that comes right out anyway.

naw. i want to do a full pres, just not to this car.

truth!

word. it's not getting slept on, i'm constantly adding stuff... it's just not stuff you can see so i don't bother mentioning it. all my fun is behind the wheels.

thanks. that's a fair rundown of how i'll probably go with the exterior, but that's last on my list. i'm more concerned about suspension, brakes, wheels, interior, audio, etc. even though all that stuff has been touched on it's far from done.

nope. max got flooded. rip.

lol. i did some research on removing tint and decided i'll just pay someone. i gotta see what i can do to the outer glass first though. this car sat for a while with the previous owner and there's some etching. i want to glasshouse it but i can't do that if i can't get the stains off.

19. Green Poupon

Green Poupon New Member

What?? Pay people to pull tint?? It's called a heatgun! My tint was put on in 1993 and I got it glasshouse with a heatgun and a razorblade. Do you have pics of the stains? There's a trick or 2 to removing that stuff.

20. OG

OG Active Member

yeah man... i'm too big and texas is too hot for me to be playin with window tint. i'm a diy'er in general but some things i'd just rather pay for.

i dunno if i could get the stains to show up in pics. i gave them a go this morning after posting and i'm pretty sure i need new glass. vingar didn't work and fine wetsanding didn't work. pretty sure it's etched.

1990 tint btw... and it's started deteriorating so i doubt it will come of clean (i.e. big pieces).