suede vs. microfiber (opinions)

Discussion in 'Interior' started by OG, Feb 5, 2008.

1. OG

OG Active Member

i started searching for suede to do my headliner/accenting. before i go any further, let me note that i have always been opposed to microfiber. with that said, i found some extremely nice dead stock ralph lauren sueded fabric that i am really considering using. l'm looking for some outside views on this.

*edit* i decided to follow my gut and went ahead and bought it. still like to hear some opinions though.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  2. SikNLow

SikNLow Awesome VSC Administrator

Suede has always been a favorite of mine for tastefully done interiors where it isn't used too excessively and of course +3 for the Lauren choice, but as I researched a lot of the materials for interiors and did comparisons, as well as asking those with certain interior materials their experiences, good and bad, I quickly learned that suede is very difficult to maintain in pristine condition which is when it looks at it's best. After viewing various suede-like materials microfiber was the actually most astonishingly best material you could get that was faux suede without the disadvantages of suede. I know most will end up either flaming this comment due to the difference in cost for both but when it comes to interiors that last and represent you till you replace them to the next scheme, it is awesome in it's own right. just my 2ยข

3. OG

OG Active Member

the things that made me even consider the micro fiber are:

1) the color
    2) its rl so i'm sure the quality is top notch
    3) the cost of rl microfiber is not cheap, except in a case like this where i am buying a color from a previous collection. if you follow rl at all you know that once that season is over that color is done with so they clear it out. msrp for this stuff is like $100+ a yd. and i'm not gonna hate myself for taking advantage of a nice deal.

so heres where i stood when i decided to buy it. if it works out i got $600-700 worth of material, if it doesn't i'm only out $90. the pro of being easier to maintain is cool, but not quite cool enough to offset the lack of authenticity. this stuff is going to have to prove itself to make it in my car.

4. firelizard

firelizard VSC Super Moderator

I vote microfiber.

Comes in fantastic colours, is cheaper, and feels great anyways.

Suede, like SiknLow said is hard to maintain looking good.

5. augdogg

augdogg VSC Super Moderator

Guess i'm a bias balla, cause I like the suede. As far as maintenance is concerned (unless tinted) you need only treat the headliner once, but the pillars more often (because of the sun). To my knowledge you would still need to treat the pillars/headliner when using microfiber as well. Plus when ppl ask if it's suede I can say yes, it is. Ppl don't really approach me and ask if it's microfiber.:shrug:

6. OG

OG Active Member

i can dig it, but i can say its a ralph lauren headliner.

7. augdogg

True. Does it have little horse/jocky pattern all over it? If not, why just stop @ RL? =)

8. PANCAKES!

PANCAKES! Most hated - DIVA...!

I can vouch, Augdogg's suede inteior w/ roof is on point! SO SMOOTH AND SEXY! :biggthumpup: (No homo!)

9. augdogg

Thx Oscar!:biggthumpup:

10. elpresidente

elpresidente Administrator

I've used suede, alcantara, and microfiber/microsuedes. They all have a nice appearance and are only as good as the person installing them...remember that.

11. OG

OG Active Member

no doubt. this brings up a good point, but also kind of answers my question. i take it this is not something i should try myself. i don't have a problem paying someone to do it but i was thinking of giving it a shot. i mean, its not hard to redo right?

12. burgy

burgy New Member

There is a reason that even the top furniture designers are using more and more Microfiber in place of suede. Suede is maintenance heavy and microfiber withstands A LOT more abuse. I think we would all PREFER suede, but by NO means would I look down on Microfiber based solely on the fact that it isn't suede..... It will still be pimp if its done right and of course the RL is a plus.

13. SikNLow

SikNLow Awesome VSC Administrator

don't misunderstand me either yousave a bit more on micro than you do suede but that's where it stops because you still need a quality upholsterer to make it snap back at you when done! If you look at it when it is done and you have to keep looking at it because you can't believe how good it looks..... 8 times out of 10 it was a great installer that made that happen!:biggthumpup:

14. eight08customs

eight08customs New Member

from my expriance.. use both Suede and Micro Suede..

you can feel the diff with the real suede it is m uch more dence and softer and the smell is awsome! with the Micro Suede.. it is alot cheaper but when you put the 2 side by side.. it doent even come close to the real suede and IMO and look more like velour ... the suede so far i have had no issues taign care of it.. as for the micro suede i had some issues trying to keep it clean..

As for using micro suede for head liners use not than enought Keystone glue.. the thing when heat gets to it it starts to blister..

I my self spent well over 4 grand on real leather to do my whole car total of 8 hides.. and you waste alot of the real stuffs also becuase when you us suede its from a cow and there are some flaws.. the higher the price the less flawless.. Lucky my friend sponsored the labor and that price for the leather was his cost..

15. OG

OG Active Member

i got the rl in today. it looks pretty nice and the color is perfect. it doesn't have as much nap as suede, but its not like the cheap microfiber where you can see the fabric weave. i will probably run with it.

16. Loud1

Loud1 New Member

Novasuede is the way to go. Perfect feel and very easy to work with

17. Green Poupon

Green Poupon New Member

Just do what I do:

If you think something would look tight, then do it.

If you like it, leave it, if you don't like it enough to do it all over again, then take it off.

Thats what happened with DOOKIE SPARKLE in crystals on my 3rd brakelight. I don't dislike it enough to take it off... definitely a memento moment.

If you want a step by step walk through on how to do your headliner shoot me a PM I can tell it to you quick on the phone (instead of a bunch of typing) though I should put together a DIY.

PS - I didn't email you those pics of my red door cause I ended up stripping the top off to demo something for somebody. I didn't forget or anything. Definitely going a different route then what I thought before.

EDIT: I put diamonds on my food, because it makes my...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  18. OG

OG Active Member

damn... i was like "what dumb ass started this thread?". still got a pile of red fabric and nothing to do with it... sometimes i set stuff on it to take pictures. that's about it.

19. Green Poupon

Green Poupon New Member

You never did the headliner? Are you going to? I'll tell you how to do it its not hard. You only need $40 for glue.

20. Rodneyc77

Rodneyc77 New Member

I've seen a headliner/pillars suede wrap done... it's not that hard, but I know I can't do myself :pat:

The guy that did mine, wraped everything in less than an hour... he made it look so damn easy... Just know that you will waste a lot of material... I would estimate at least 25 %...