Project rail-less curtains!

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Ronnie81, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Ronnie81

Ronnie81 New Member

imma do this to my extra set of door panels and interior door moldings on my y33...it has enough space on the top to dremel the channel for the curtain sliders and enough space between the panel lining to do the same so i can get rid of these damn rails that stop me from...putting my hand out the window! hahaha oh yea and hopefully solve issue with double sided tape and falling down over time! wish me luck! hahaha imma need it

2. COPPERSHOT

COPPERSHOT New Member

Good luck. Post up some pics when you get it done.

3. chik-n-little

chik-n-little Member

Yo this will be epic if you pill it off. Good luck, cant wait till we see the finished pics....

4. Ronnie81

Ronnie81 New Member

will post pics once i start doing the project!!

5. CrazyHawaiian

CrazyHawaiian New Member

This is exactly what I plan to do with the interior of my President. I got fed up with the rails and double sided tape and decided it was a cheap installation method for a part that is meant to convey elegance and class. So I decided I wanted to make my own set of custom curtains, and modify the door panels and door frame for a flush installation. Sounds like you're on the same track!! (no pun intended, ok that was lame). Keep us updated, I'll do the same when I start on mine. I need to source the extra parts first, my parts car has the wrong color interior. The top part should be no problem because there is material behind the plastic to give support, but the bottom parts in the door panel might take some work, might need a custom support to be made because it will be recessed, and needs to fit next to the window glass without causing anything to bind or rub

6. Ronnie81

Ronnie81 New Member

actually what i was thinking was on the top rails is no problem cause of the plastic and i can cut the line small enough to "force" the cutain sliders through and hold forever...hahaha...and as for the bottom i was debating on using the rails i have and just have them sunken into the door panel cause i see no way as of right now to put anything to hold the curtains inplace... so it completely dissappears...its doable from the looks of it

7. CrazyHawaiian

CrazyHawaiian New Member

It is definitely do-able, and I agree, re-using the rails it came with is probably the best thing to do unless you're going completely custom. The hard part will be, once you mod the door panel (where the bottom rail mounts), there might not be much material to mount the bottom rail to since you've recessed it into the door for a flush mount. There will be nothing under the rail, just door panel material on the sides. It might be really flimsy and break easily. So something else might need to be made to support the rail better from the bottom. Something custom that mounts under the rail (unseen), and attaches to the door panel material more securely. Also care should be taken regarding the window glass itself, making sure there is no interference. It will probably be a case by case basis as not all door panels are the same. But yes it is definitely do-able, and I think a well thought out, and well executed installation done this way will not only make the curtains more stable, it will look classier, semi-factory, and all around smoother. You could also work in something motorized...

:biggthumpup:

8. Ronnie81

Ronnie81 New Member

i can always use self tapping screws to drill it into the panel and if its all foam under there i can make my own brackets for the screws to go through the rails and into the panel then into the brackets for stability...and i dunno on your car but the y33 cima door panels are pretty beefy up top they have enough room to make the necessary adjustments...and motorized would be soo dope!

9. revtek_gs3

revtek_gs3 New Member

great idea and would look clean! i took my front curtains off but left the rails on in case i decide to put them back. rails bothered me at first but not so much anymore.

10. kingpin

kingpin New Member

where are we on this ! Y34 of course has no Pillars so this idea might fow over ?

11. 1cleanM

1cleanM New Member

what happened to this mod ???! did it work or FAIL !! ?? !! ?? wanted to see this work !

12. BossMaxima

BossMaxima New Member

I wanted to see the success of this because I just talked with my interior guy about this project. The difference is we are going to go fully custom from start to finish. Its a project Ill prob get done around April/May.

13. irydedumpd

irydedumpd New Member

Very much interested in the outcome as well

14. Awwthentic

Awwthentic New Member

updates??

15. lowlyfey34

lowlyfey34 New Member

no updates. lol

i guess on a y34 you could work up some type of bracket for rails up top behind the door seal and have it clip onto the door panel when closed? idk....would be neat if there was somethin like that for a y34. lol

gotta be presentable

16. Awwthentic

Awwthentic New Member

make it, patent it, make money lol

17. BossMaxima

BossMaxima New Member

I had to push back my curtain idea until after graduation in May. But its coming up soon!

18. VI IX

VI IX Active Member

Don't forget to make something to channel out water.

19. LowStyle400

LowStyle400 New Member

Did you ever get around to doing this?... or are you on schedule with "my kinda soon..." this would be a great idea/ thread if someone does it.

20. BossMaxima

BossMaxima New Member

Its coming but not as soon as i thought... Im not a fan of curtains like i used to be so im pushing the project back to finish other things first.

Tapa'Talkin on my Galaxy Note