Painting interior plastic

Discussion in 'Interior' started by SumYungM35, Jul 3, 2012.

1. SumYungM35

SumYungM35 New Member

what are you guys using to repaint or redye your plastic. i'm swapping my interior out for black suede and im' going to paint the plastic just a basic black. i seem to be having trouble getting paint to hold up to a light scratch. so a little help would be dope! thanks

2. Schnitz

Schnitz Active Member

SEM Color Coat. Best stuff I've ever used.

3. SumYungM35

SumYungM35 New Member

did you run a clear coat with it? i see they have a semi gloss type clear. where can i get it? local auto apint shop i'm guessing?

4. Schnitz

Schnitz Active Member

No clear. Check their dealers on their website.

5. SumYungM35

SumYungM35 New Member

Found some after work. Got the first part painted. I'll do the rest tomorrow. This stuff works great thanks [​IMG]

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

6. Kouki Monster

Kouki Monster New Member

I have been looking for something good. Biggest thing I have to do is upper seatbelt attachment and visor plastic and tabs. I would think they would scratch easily though from taking the sunvisor off or flipping it down a lot.

7. SumYungM35

SumYungM35 New Member

yea i'm right there now. i dont want to have to keep touching it up honestly. i didn't clear coat that part b/c it honestly is a very low use area. they do make a clear coat that says it can hold up to key scratches. i'll have to go back to the store and scoop some and see how it works. i'll keep this updated and let ya know

8. OG

OG Active Member

i'd recommend using the satin clear. at the end of the day it's a coating, whether they call it paint or dye, and anything to prtect from scratches/rubbing is a plus. it comes out with an oem sheen. you can also buy color coat in non aerosol to be applied with a gun.

the main thing is prep. i recommend extensive cleaning, prep scrub, and adhesion promoter for the most durable refinish.

9. Dranom

Dranom VSC Super Moderator

post pictures when you put some clear on it

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  10. SumYungM35

SumYungM35 New Member

Yup I cleaned the hell outa everything. Haven't picked up the clear coat yet. Have to order it looks like the second I get it down I'll post some pictures

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2