new to VSC

Discussion in 'VIP 101' started by timmy0tool, Sep 27, 2011.

1. timmy0tool

timmy0tool Member

sup yall! i finally had to register after lurking for quite some time. i'm new here but not new to the VIP scene. being part of team supastar, one gets exposed to many cars and styles currently the most prevalent being VIP. with the likes of a LWB G50 president, to dubbing with VW folk, to a stanced out E34 wagon, there is always a refreshing variety.

with that said, i recently picked up a 97 ls400 (named kimberly) as new project to contribute. it is meant to be my daily driver but we all know how fast it can turn into something more. for now i plan to keep her simple and elegant, as to not lose driveability. being in socal we have our fair share of poorly maintained roads, mountainous speed bumps, equally horrendous drivers, challenging driveways, and limited parking. why i chose this platform goes all against this with my future plans i have in store. pictures of her will be coming shortly!

as for my background i'm a honda head at heart, but not your typical civic or integra driver. i've always been an accord fan from day one, literally! i took my driver's exam in my 92 accord coupe, which i still own to this day. i mainly use her for track duty nowadays. a fixed bucket, on super stiff coilovers, with brake pads that can't get up to temperature, on a manual transmission makes for a tough commute! i must be getting old! i'd rather not deal with the law, or thieves as well.

here is kristin at horse thief mile, willow springs raceway
    [​IMG]

i recently sold my 96 wagon before purchasing the new project. she was VIP-styled on air after converting to 5-lug to run the non-staggard shallen ax wheels. i miss katie!
    [​IMG]

so a honda head going full VIP. yeah it is what it is, and i chose the ucf20 as a base platform as it's my favorite full size chassis. with toyota quality being similar to honda, i'm immediately a fan. i'm drawn towards the simple design and overall look of the car, even at the standard factory trimming. with so much inspiration on VSC, i know this will be a fun build! :giggity:

2. BAHC

BAHC New Member

welcome to vsc!

3. genetic

genetic New Member

Welcome Tim! Any pictures of the UCF20?

4. RASRX7

RASRX7 New Member

POST PICS!
    :biggthumpup:

5. timmy0tool

timmy0tool Member

here are some crappy iphone pics (3GS not 4 so they'r even crappier haha). i found her on auto trader but i had to drive to bakersfield. the drive there was fine but driving back through friday evening rush hour in LA was not fun. it took me almost 2.5hrs to get back into orange county. it was definitely worth the drive as the previous owners were super hospitable (old couple who owns a farming business) and the car was in great condition. the whole drive home was very comfortable!

[​IMG]

driving through the grapevine
    [​IMG]

yeah i drive slow
    [​IMG]

wood trim on the hu and vents?
    [​IMG]

smog check the next day, passed with flying colors
    [​IMG]

back at home
    [​IMG]

gold emblems will need to be replaced soon
    [​IMG]

clean grey interior
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

i need to work on the maintenance as the previous owners didn't know if the car's timing belt was replaced. i have to do that first before the modding can begin. i also noticed the power steering lines above the alternator are wet. overall though i'm very happy with kimberly!

6. Mrs.Rodriguez

Mrs.Rodriguez New Member

Haha another Honda Head!

My friend had a db8 named Katie!!!!

Looks like you got yourself a clean new platform! Good Luck!

7. ap716

ap716 New Member

always loved your cb7

8. a.blanco0905

a.blanco0905 New Member

Welcome!!! Nice LS man... very clean...

9. romeo291

romeo291 New Member

Welcome to the forum dude! Wished you could have kept that accord wagon and have the LS, that thing was nice. Anywho, you'll def love the LS though, can't wait to see when the tuning bug gets you.

10. BAHC

BAHC New Member

car looks mint!

11. EpicStance

EpicStance New Member

Clean LS and that Accord was sick

12. timmy0tool

timmy0tool Member

thanks for the warm welcome folks! i look forward to learning more about this platform, or i should say blank canvas. she is so nice to drive!

13. DIRTYATL

DIRTYATL Active Member

That's a nice pickup right there, car looks real clean.....welcome to VSC

14. timmy0tool

timmy0tool Member

since i know we all love these, here are some pics i took while doing the t-belt back in october last year. i apologize for the quality since all i had on me was my iphone (again).

all the goodies ready to go. i bought the tbelt, wp, idlers, and seals from an ebay seller. the auction came with an authentic mitsuboshi belt (OEM), aisin wp (OEM), made-in-japan bearings, and unknown seals (which is why i was hesitant to run them). all the rest i obtained at lexus of westminister who has great prices if you tell them you are from club lexus. FYI they beat sewell prices and the parts are readily available so no waiting!
    [​IMG]

the workspace, good ol driveway!
    [​IMG]

covers off, motor was filthy!
    [​IMG]

what my belt looked like at 131k miles
    [​IMG]

accessory belt had cracks too
    [​IMG]

close up of the tbelt, scary!
    [​IMG]

1/8 of the parts removed and set aside
    [​IMG]

radiator removed, previous owner had the lower splash guard cut for easier access to the oil filter, i personally don't like that but what can i do now
    [​IMG]

crank bolt removal, breaker bar with my jack's handle for more leverage
    [​IMG]

wedged an large allen key into the flexplate through the transmission access panel to lock the motor from spinning while removing the crank bolt, no need for any special tools
    [​IMG]

the crank bolt came of with ease w/o using pb blaster, yes i work out :p
    [​IMG]

wp removed, block cleaned
    [​IMG]

night arrives, lighting ensues
    [​IMG]

15. timmy0tool

timmy0tool Member

i continued the next day since i didn't want to rush, here is the belt on with markings lined up
    [​IMG]

moments after turning the key, a sigh of relief
    [​IMG]

topping her off
    [​IMG]

kimberly's choice of drinks, had to refill the transmission fluid too after removing the radiator
    [​IMG]

all done and tidy!
    [​IMG]

i was going to do the power steering but everything looks fine on it but the air lines are wet so i have to investigate further. next up is a transmission flush and diff fluid change. :thumbsup:

16. sidrasadaf

sidrasadaf Banned

hi...
    I am Sadaf Sadaf professionally a writer but all the time a web serfur and very keen to save good weblinks just to make sure that I have a collection of good data to read in future..

17. BAHC

BAHC New Member

^ wassup sadfa sadaf

18. Why33

Why33 New Member

Nice work! Keep it up!:biggthumpup:

19. Mr.Doback

Mr.Doback New Member

Nice!

Good to see more DIY'ers entering vsc and posting up their work. :biggthumpup:

20. OJAY

OJAY Member

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! thats my boy tim! welcome to vsc dood! yo u need to come over and rip apart my ucf10 exactly like u did here. oh and while you're at it, install this alternator i have sitting around for my honda element, por favor? lol cant wait to see u build this mug tim!