Needing Wheel Repair GURU's!

Discussion in 'Wheels and Suspension' started by illest, Apr 24, 2012.

1. illest

illest New Member

I have a set of SSR Visconti LXD; anyhow they are in need of some TLC..I live in KS so no one would want to touch the wheels for repair so I am going to attempt to see if I can do it myself. Few questions if anyone would know...

1. What metal are they in? are there clear coat? (I believe they are just high polish finish not 100%)
    2. The faces on the wheels are scuffed from previous owners and I've sent pictures to various places telling me they are pitted; how do I refinish that?

Any help will do...I've polished lips and had the up keeping before but I know my last set were raw metal...not so sure on these...

2. OG

OG Active Member

how about some detailed pics of the wheels if you want some solid help.

3. illest

illest New Member

XXXXX

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  4. OG

OG Active Member

tough to say on the lips, but if they are original they could be cleared, anodized, or chromed. something best evaluated in person unless someone has experience with this particular wheel.

as for the faces, you have clear coat issues as well as heavy corrosion. it is very possible that the metal is pitted. unfortunately, i don't think you're going to be able to save the machined finish. full polish may be an option, but with pitting it doesn't look very good. i would lean towards stripping, smoothing, and powdercoating the faces.

5. waijai

waijai New Member

Some wheels repair shops can do machined finish. Jun had his Iforged redone that way.

6. illest

illest New Member

assuming this is in texas?

7. illest

illest New Member

but for the lips.. I might be ok with painting/powdercoating the face..if I can atleast salvage the lips and paint it a silver pearl id be happy.

8. OG

OG Active Member

they'd have to shave too much off the face to get rid of the pitting i think.

i'm in houston, jun/william are ion the dfw area.

lips are no big deal. they can be stripped to bare metal and polished out or chromed.

9. illest

illest New Member

I guess my other question at this point is if I were try to polish it and it turns out to be chrome is it going to be damaging?

10. OG

OG Active Member

chrome can be polished, with the right polish, but if it's cleared or anodized you'll do damage.

11. Matkg

Matkg Member

Post better pics. Close up ones would help. Maybe we can figure out if it's chrome or just bright polished.