My first VIP Platform (1998 GS300)

Discussion in '101 Builds' started by Mrs.Rodriguez, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Mrs.Rodriguez

Mrs.Rodriguez New Member

Why hello there!

My name is Miranda, I usually am oh -gasp- a Honda Girl! Yeaaa buddy. But I actually know a decent amount about cars, I AM NOT one of those guys girlfriends that just goes to shows because he's going. I know what I know, and if I don't know I ask. When I get a passion for something its very strong, and I actually DO PUT IN EFFORT TO LEARN :)

So let me start out with how I got a hold of this beast.

I had an EK hatchback, with a gsr swap that had a GReddy turbo, had some ctr internals and other fun stuff. Basically my little daily driver...I got bored with her after so long, and accomplishing my gsr turbo. I felt like i reached an end.

So the ultimate decision. To put her on craigslist. Within a week, I traded her for another EK, but the guy gave me cash on top. And within two days of having that, I traded it for my Lexus!

A little the GS:

1998, Automatico!
    It's like that Red/Orange Color they come in, though I have NO CLUE where to look for the paint code.
    It has the 2jzge engine with 105,000 miles.
    It already has adjustable coilovers, but I am not sure as to what brand, and its a full sleeve of coilovers, or stock struts with coils. (If that sounds right? LOL)
    It has a in dash already, but i am aiming to replace it with a better one/

What I am planning to do/change:

Invest in a good alarm system. Lojack, etc!

Definitely need to work on the body/ paint.

Going to get new headlights if I can't buff out the haze, and going to get new tail lights cause they did a crappy job of tinting.

I am purchasing new bumpers within the next few weeks. Can't decide whether to keep stock bumpers or ??

DEFINITELY new wheels. I dislike the current wheels to the fullest, but maybe that is because they remind of of cheap rotas? Ugh. But wheels will be last. I do not want to drop 3k in wheels, and not want to finish the car you know! Haha.

Now for the goood stuff!! The pics...however 'good' they are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PLEASE do give me suggestions, comments etc...Constructive criticism is what helps me to learn and keep moving with a build.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  2. khanhdom

khanhdom New Member

welcome to the site, and read and learn about VIP before getting into it too fast

3. jeebus

jeebus Active Member

I don't think I've ever seen that color before. Suspension and wheels is always a good start.

4. speedaddict

speedaddict bippu cowboy

Welcome to VSC. Stick around, we have a lot of 2GS builds here

5. ray316

ray316 Member

nice car definately has pontential! Nice too see a girl building a VIP ride! good luck with it! the color looks like cinnabar color

6. Anonymous User

Anonymous User New Member

Welcome to vsc, i was also a honda person turned vip. Haha.

Car looks to be in pretty good and pretty good miles on it too. For your headlights you can try to buff i out, i reccomend the 3M headlight restore kit i used it and my headlights are clear now. You should br able to get it from walmart for $20.

7. selah777

selah777 New Member

Welcome to vsc, I am not sure that is an oem color because I have never seen it before.

Curious as to why you want new bumpers?

8. brainneeded

brainneeded Active Member

i have seen this color before, i think there's a guy on here with an NA-T that has this color.

9. airmax

airmax VSC Super Moderator

yeah doesnt really look like cinabar, unless its just the pics thats throwing me. welcome to the forums. also, id get rid of the tinted tails...maybe replace them with 01^ tails.

edit: get rid of that front plate. lol.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  10. L3GDKANG/JDM-KANG

L3GDKANG/JDM-KANG New Member

welcome and nice build to start with

11. khanhdom

khanhdom New Member

yea the cinabar is a lot different, i thought that was the color at first, but looked at another one, and it's def not the same, unless the photos are misleading

12. kingpin

kingpin New Member

Can i see close up pictures of your headlamps .. maybe there is some thing i can do to help !

Welcome to Vsc =)

13. Mrs.Rodriguez

Mrs.Rodriguez New Member

Thanks for the welcomes...And yes definitely replacing the tails! And I am replacing the bumpers because the front bumper the tabs are broken, so it's like barely hanging on, haha...And that front place....AWFUL...idk why the last owner put the plate to the side? He just put more random holes in it...And the rear bumper because there is a spot where there is just layer upon layer of cracked paint. Like i seen that cinnabar color you mentioned. And now is this...orange? Idk...I am going back to the original reddish color.

And yes, I definitely am going to be doing a lot of reading and researching before I jump the gun and just buy a shit ton of parts that I have no idea about. But this will all come with time since I am in college full time, and have my daughter to take care of as well.

But I will be doing at least 1 major thing a month to this so I can have it done before next summer....I got six months...so October will be cosmetic work, November suspension/ fender work, December engine upgrades, January maybe paint, February another set of engine upgrades, then march wheel upgrade (maybe two sets?), Then april another shot of clear and extra clear hood bra to avoid those nasty rock chips?

This is just off the top of my head, so we shall see what gets done! Haha...

14. revtek_gs3

revtek_gs3 New Member

Welcome...good luck with the build!

15. a.blanco0905

a.blanco0905 New Member

QFT... good luck Miranda, nice car...

16. airmax

airmax VSC Super Moderator

ballin.jpg

what kind of wheels / fitment you looking for? just curious :biggthumpup:

17. illest

illest New Member

ballin!! nice to see a female in the car game...

18. LuxFaction

LuxFaction New Member

Nice to see another person from the PNW!

19. chik-n-little

chik-n-little Member

Change your lower ball joints. Best advice I was given was to make sure all the maintenice is done

"Your sister is hot but your mom does that thing with her tongue"

20. Mrs.Rodriguez

Mrs.Rodriguez New Member

I am looking into the Nel Classe wheels, if thats right? I love them! The three piece is just what I need too I dont want to keep 19's on the car cause right now its perfect for my daily driving school babysitter etc.And as for the aggressive fitment I am still trying my best to understand that and not confusing it with offset....I really try to be careful with my cars, but I like the idea of the replaceable lip...Haha...

And i have decided to find a shop to do a manual swap into the beast. I have been reading about a few of these done to other 98 2gs...And its killing me driving an automatic again lol...So my question is where is a realiable place in the NW (northwest oregon and washington) to get something like this done? Google can only do so much.

I am thinking of going all out for the built and boosted supra motor, though I imagine this is just as difficult as going from the honda fits k23z3 to the k20a, even though they are a little alike.