Dippin wood

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Kouki Monster, May 25, 2011.

1. speedaddict

speedaddict bippu cowboy

that's it? Whats the pricing like? May have some $ when I come back from Hawaii

2. OG

OG Active Member

typical 4 door luxury car is 1k-1.5k to redo everything.

3. Kouki Monster

Kouki Monster New Member

I think I need to get into this business

4. Green Poupon

Green Poupon New Member

Dipping is extremely inexpensive material wise but the time involved can be intensive. There is a lot of prep work, buffing, sanding ect.. involved. There is a place locally that quoted me $2,400 for the 12 little pieces of woodgrain in mya w220. The actual cost comes from the fact you gotta buy rolls, and most places are under contract not to sell film to individuals.

5. lowvanu2

lowvanu2 Member

get a quote from my guy, should be the cheapest out there!!!

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I'm curious on how scratch resistant these are and how well it takes sunlight before fading.

7. Avantgarde

Avantgarde VSC Super Moderator

I figure they're as scratch resistant as the clear coat they put on them.

Being that you can have Matte or gloss clear coat there's a multitude of things you can do with this stuff =)

8. OG

OG Active Member

^ what he said. clear coat is automotive grade. same scratch and uv resistance as the rest of your car.

9. Rodneyc77

Rodneyc77 New Member

When I got my stuff done about 3 years ago. it was approximately $0.40 per square inch. Size is everything I guess (no homo)...

10. speedaddict

speedaddict bippu cowboy

any pics of your stuff Rodney? NO homo...

11. lowvanu2

lowvanu2 Member

I wish I could give the definitive answer on scratch resistance and sunfade, but I can say that I live in Az, that I have 35% all around, and that mine has held up perfectly....

12. Rodneyc77

Rodneyc77 New Member

13. Green Poupon

Green Poupon New Member

If you use the right clear with UV protection then you are fine. There are many, many products other then cars that this stuff is used for. If it holds up on a combat rifle in the desert it can handle a ride in the car :biggthumpup:

14. Kouki Monster

Kouki Monster New Member

I would put a resin over it for that added depth

15. Green Poupon

Green Poupon New Member

There is still stuff for table tops that levels perfectly with no need to sanding if you use flood coats. It lays like a 1/4" thick. They sell it at home depot. Dries completely clear no bubbles and has UV shit in it.

16. Kouki Monster

Kouki Monster New Member

ftw ! i should put that on the car hahaha

17. revtek_gs3

revtek_gs3 New Member

Source did my interior wood pieces as well as other parts like vents, gauge bezel, center console, etc...was black to match exterior then dipped it to black wood. After seeing wringo's car on CL, it inspired me to do black wood as well. Also got some engine pieces and valve cover done in carbon fiber. Turned out good and great prices!! I'd recommend Wells and Ryan to those looking to get hydrographics

18. BAHC

BAHC New Member

hrmmmmmm black wood grain, granite, or dark marble..decisions decisions

19. Nite_Grind

Nite_Grind New Member

Bookmarked for the future.

20. revtek_gs3

revtek_gs3 New Member

I originally wanted to get black marble but there were some issues with the film. Not bc of source but who they got the film from. Ill post pics when I can...just got the car back recently.