Diamond Stitch/Quilted/padded design??

Discussion in 'Interior' started by burgy, May 19, 2009.

1. burgy

burgy New Member

[​IMG]
    So is the diamond stitch pattern, like the seat insert seen above, prefabbed now where you can just buy it and wrap it, or is the diamond stitch look a "process" you do with the material?

Same with this style?
    [​IMG]

I know this is sort of a basic question, but I was told you can just buy the leather already done like that now??? Also, if you can, where?

2. jqnguyen8

jqnguyen8 New Member

Belleza and Garson are some companies that sell the seat covers with those type of patterns....OR you can get an upholster person to dp that custom for you.

3. burgy

burgy New Member

I know they sell that stuff, but I don't really want to just pull something out of a box and put it on. I want a custom look on some parts that those companies do NOT make.

That is why I am asking this question. I already know I can take it to a shop and pay someone to do it...

4. brainneeded

brainneeded Active Member

i'd like to know if i could do that as well. wouldn't mind wrapping my headliner in diamond stitch.

5. burgy

burgy New Member

^ Thats what I am doing along with the seat inserts and door cards....:biggthumpup:

6. Green Poupon

Green Poupon New Member

It's done by hand. Diamond stitching is only on the most ballertastic cars because A) it takes a shitload of time to do it and if you fuck it up you start over, and B) you need a considerable amount of skill to be able to do it correctly. There is a ton of measuring required, look at the maroon seats in that bentley, see how the pattern matches up perfectly? That doesn't just happen. I've been doing interiors for almost a year now and I still have no idea how they did the maserati seats with the buttons. I have a general idea but the time involved would be extreme.

7. burgy

burgy New Member

That's what I thought, I guess I will just have to speak with a few of teh local shops. Thanks

8. RaCinStylez

RaCinStylez VSC Super Moderator

[​IMG]

This car is amazing. They only built 100 QPs with this option. Even has sat internet and wireless keyboad. This interior took many hours to craft. But if you look at the seats they are not that complicated. Its a simple outskin with a diamond stitch & tuck center. Any upholstery shop should be able to do a simple stitch & tuck. Takes a buch of time though.

[​IMG]

Now this is a little easier, stitching double diamonds. You gotta lay everything out first in chalk like a grid. Then break the grid down into smaller ones. From there you can start to run the lines. I saw the fab guy that stitched my interior do that. He didnt speak english so I couldnt ask him any questions, but it look like it takes a lot of patience.

9. Green Poupon

Green Poupon New Member

The diamonds isn't hard it just takes a TON of time. Use up a 1/4" hypoallergenic memory foam between the top fabric and the base you sew it to. That's what makes the diamonds puffy.

I thought the QP was stitch and tuck as well but I was told (by an installer who does the cars for morries maserati) that its more complicated then that because of heated seats or air pocket or some shit like that. stick and tuck is old skool there was a 1967 caddy I wanted sooooooooooo bad that had it in white with white buttons (on a cream car with a white top), too white for me but you could roll down all 4 windows in the sedan and it was pillarless so when you did it was super baller. I think the windows were crank though. Crank windows... made it slightly less baller...

You CAN however by fabric that is prestitched in a quilted pattern. I did my carpet in it and it held up through a whole minnesota winter of snowy nasty boots beating on it. It would look cool in seats but its rather simple and its fabric. Wouldn't get sticky hot in the summer or rock solid cold in the winter like leather/vinyl though.

10. burgy

burgy New Member

where can I buy that fabric? I want to do my door inserts and headliner first. I'm a little more hesitant to do anything with the seats since I have the embossed Infiniti anniversary seats

11. Green Poupon

Green Poupon New Member

I would not do the headliner in the stitched fabric. It is extremely heavy and will sag after time no matter how much glue/contact cement you use. Joan fabrics sells the pre quilted fabric.

12. burgy

burgy New Member

got it,I will have to rethink the headliner then perhaps. thanks

13. jaynick808

jaynick808 New Member

i would second that. i gotta epoxy the velcro tabs back on. the weight slowly pulls it off one by one and i end up having the velcro stuck together and a sagging area. but i do love how thick and soft it is. if i was in an SUV rollover id want this style of upholstery haha.

14. Green Poupon

Green Poupon New Member

If you have ~12 hours to burn and a second pair of hands you can strategically tie the pre-stitched diamond fabric to the headliner shell. I did that with my vampire brothel headliner and it turned out fantastic.

15. burgy

burgy New Member

^ Wish I had those skills, because I would definately do it....

16. Green Poupon

Green Poupon New Member

You definitely could, if you really want to know how to do it PM me your cell number and i'll hit you up. It's way, way, way too much to type out or try to explain on here. Also give me your address again, I found that fabric when I was cleaning out my closet did you still want some of that?

17. widebody_Q

widebody_Q VSC Super Moderator

This thread is making me want to do my interior lol.

18. onefattboy909

onefattboy909 New Member

if your ever in so cal a buddy of mine can do them for you at a really good price... and it would only take him like 2 days to do the entire car...
    this is what mine looked like before my makeover....[​IMG]

19. burgy

burgy New Member

^Uggh yes! other than color would be different. Very nice.

Grundel, I'll get you my info here shortly and I'll gladly use some of that fabric.

20. JN.FYC

JN.FYC VSC Super Moderator

quick question, the interior that 909 has, something like that would they just craftely sew the fabric over the existing leather or would they have to do a little cut & sew?