couple of pics of the progress on the body work

Discussion in '101 Builds' started by 1996ls400ky, Jul 19, 2008.

1. 1996ls400ky

1996ls400ky New Member

i been workin on it this weekend did all of the body work and sanding myself and it looks really good fixed the dents as you can see there were plenty
    im only 19 so i feel pretty good about doin this gives me more dedication on workin on the car and i know when its done i can say i did it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 1996ls400ky

1996ls400ky New Member

sorry for the crappy pics its a cell phone pictures

3. VIPJAG

VIPJAG New Member

Nice work what color are you going to paint it?

4. luda42688

luda42688 New Member

good job..... make sure you throw some primer over the bondo before you take it out or w.e ..... coming out pretty good keep up the good work..... if your changing the color please paint the jams and engine bay..... not that much extra work for a much better result... take your time and have fun....

5. 1996ls400ky

1996ls400ky New Member

its gettin a high gloss black

6. 1996ls400ky

1996ls400ky New Member

the whole driver side is gettin primer i dnt wanna do some primer there and here wont come out rite
    im keep the same color which is black so i dnt need to paint the engine bay and door jams
    i will have pics up once it comes out the shop guys

7. VIPJAG

VIPJAG New Member

Are you going to paint to your self?

8. 1996ls400ky

1996ls400ky New Member

no im having a body shop paint it i just did the body work and prep it

9. gh0st

gh0st New Member

pretty nice work man...when you get this going you will have to come up to louisville one night.

10. 1996ls400ky

1996ls400ky New Member

thanks men
    will do once its done i be at louiville np
    there aint much you can do here in bg anyway

11. gh0st

gh0st New Member

haha...no, not at all. there is a guy up here with a green/grey 2tone LS that is VIP...looks nice. for sale if you know anyone.

12. THEJAPINO

THEJAPINO New Member

Don't forget sealer. Just spraying primer wont keep moisture from soaking into the bodywork. Look for primer sealer at your local body shop supply wharehouse

13. 1996ls400ky

1996ls400ky New Member

aha i will ask the body shop if they got it
    like the shop is chargin me 300 to paint it and they do a really good job. Then i got a friend that works at a ford collision center and he getting me top of the line paint and clearcoat and everthing else i need for 400 dollars which is a good deal

i will ask around how much is he asking for that ls400 and do have any pictures

14. THEJAPINO

THEJAPINO New Member

Yeah, sealer is important.

My friend bought an integra with repaired body damage on its quarter. The guy who sold it to him did a good job. The dent was straightened, body filler was added/feathered nicely and primer was blocked, ready for paint.

Turns out when the car was ready to get painted, the shop guys noticed some rust seeping through the edge of the body filler. The took it down and the panel under the filler had surface rust. He didn't use sealer after the bodywork, causing the primer to soak up the water (daily driven car).

Exposed primer is poreous and will soak up rain.

15. OG

OG Active Member

definitely seal it. i would also go back over the body work... i can tell you didnt work far enough out (out from the damage). props on the diy but bodywork is the most important part of a paint job. do you have experience?

16. 1996ls400ky

1996ls400ky New Member

aha so sealer is important then where could i get it

i aint got much experience i do bodywork here and there im also a welder. but i did a good job like you can touch it and its smooooth dnt feel the dent or anything looks good i will have close up pics soon

17. 1996ls400ky

1996ls400ky New Member

there was not really any damage it just had like dents in it about quarter size except the hood had a big dent in it and the quarter panel i gues it was damaged before and they didnt do a good job but now its all good

18. OG

OG Active Member

wherever you're getting your paint should have sealer, so just ask your frind to throw some in.

feeling bodywork is an aquired skill. i could never manage to get it down myself (i hate diong bodywork). heres a good write up on getting it right:

http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Body/Painting101/Part8.htm

19. widebody_Q

widebody_Q VSC Super Moderator

Just because it feels smooth doesnt mean the edges of where you applied the filler wont show up in the final product. It looks like the edges can be smoothened out some more. When you go across the filler with your finger nail, does your nail catch anywhere? If it does even slightly then your not finished. Body work and preping the car right is VERY important. You don't want your panels to look wavy once you get it painted.

Other then that, good luck with it.

20. 1996ls400ky

1996ls400ky New Member

aha i did the finger nail test and i couldnt feel anything i ma have the body shop come and look at it before i take it to them so i can make sure
    thanks for all the tips guys really appreciate it