Complete Interior Changeover ? for my Y33

Discussion in 'Interior' started by RITZY33, Dec 22, 2011.

1. RITZY33

RITZY33 Member

Y33 Complete Interior Changeover ?

I own a 1999 Q45 (non touring model) with this color combo interior...(reference pic)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And its far from my taste and with an upcoming paint job in the near future I wanted to go for a white on white theme.
    (think BMW, Benz, and if you will Maybach)

My question is this;
    I will be taking it to an upholstery shop but how doable is this task?
    By doable I mean, to completely redo everything ie: the dash, steering wheel, steering column, doors, floormats, carpet, seat belts, and everything else on the interior of the car by either being redyed or rewrap (or however its done).

And since its dyed how durable/ how long will it last?
    I seen threads where it has been done but none really of a follow up on the status and condition of the interior through wear and tear.
    Any Shops in So Cal anyone can refer me too?
    This isn't my daily and no its not going to be all white, I am leaning towards either grey or maybe black accents, but just trying to see how close to this vision I can make into a reality or if I should just abort before I even start haha.

Thanks in advance and look forward to updating this thread with it completed:biggthumpup:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  2. RITZY33

RITZY33 Member

3. speedaddict

speedaddict bippu cowboy

planning on wearing a plastic jumpsuit everytime you drive the car?

4. Kouki Monster

Kouki Monster New Member

It is very doable. Infact, I was very close, so close I had a lot done already and scrapped it. Mainly cause I cant decide.. and white Suede wasnt available as I wanted it to be.

If you are, I say, go with the seats, the inner trim and lower dash parts. Search how others did two tone. Dark navy blue goes very well with white, so does black too.

5. RITZY33

RITZY33 Member

Haha, nah...I don't daily the car and obviously the Maybach pic was an exaggeration, I am leaning more to how that 6 series was done.

White suede hmmmm.... Never thought of that, that would make a nice headliner.
    I was thinking the two tone in with grey since it semi goes with the polished exterior pieces, polished wheels and that black might be too much of a contrast.
    Never thought of a dark navy blue, thanks!
    I'll consider that and hopefully I can find a good balance on what will look clean, be practical, and not overkill haha.
    Thanks again back to the drawing board....

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  6. speedaddict

speedaddict bippu cowboy

I love perforated material like in the pics....would look awesome imo

7. Kouki Monster

Kouki Monster New Member

my build thread covers a lot of the way the white would work, and not. I have not ruled it out all together.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I have the same interior color... it's not so bad. Get a wood steering wheel and change the AC vents to wood ones.

9. Hustle254

Hustle254 New Member

If you go white be sure to get real leather/suede.. STAY AWAY from white vinyl... Jeans and other things are able to easily stain it and it won't come out.. I did an all white interior in my Cadillac when I owned it and it was miserable.. I would also stay away from white carpet... Even if you don't daily it that will get dirty fast.. Hope some of this helps.

10. OG

OG Active Member

the durability of "dye" (i don't care what they say, if it it doesn't absorb into the material it's still paint) will always be an issue. because of this i am against complete changes regardless of how good they look. if it was me i'd aquire a factory black interior and then reupholster leather parts to white. no dye or die.

11. Dranom

Dranom VSC Super Moderator

Wassup drew!
    Theres a shop in carson called Chuy's interior
    He usually do work for those carshow guys here in socal like TWC competition etc...
    He does good work from what ive seen. Let me know if you wanna check them out

12. RITZY33

RITZY33 Member

Thanks OG that was my main concern, the durablity and longevity in dye. I was trying to source out all black interior but haven't really had any luck and don't forsee in the near future me having any as well:pat:
    I think this is one of those "in theory mods" it looks good on paper but in actuality and in reality I don't it'll work.
    I am leaning towards hoping finding all the black interior pieces or scraping the whole white on white idea and going with black.

Yea for sure I'll hit you up next month when I am ready to get it done.
    I just gotta confirm what ext color I am going with and we'll be in touch, thanks again:biggthumpup:

13. RITZY33

RITZY33 Member

I've never been a fan of tan/beige interior...guess my old Honda days scarred me for life with that interior color haha.
    But yea I just might have too based off the advice I am getting from members here.

Thanks again everyone
    maybe on my next build I'll try it, and I'll definitely go with black interior to make things easier...

14. Kouki Monster

Kouki Monster New Member

I have never had a problem with dye on a less worn part. IE dash, upper door panel etc. Things that people dont touch very often. Its all in the prep too. PPG dyes are amazing and so is the solution to make it seep in. There was a patch done in my jag on the seat on a main wear area, and it has held up better than the rest of the seats.

Seats need to be done professionally. I am not for vinyl unless its the stuff from my old bayliner boat. It was soft, yet durable as all hell. Anything marine grade will get you where you want to be. Any shop will sell it to you, ( dont know the name) but the white vinyl they use on Bayliners is what I would use. Its cheaper than leather, made to cleaned and up to snuff for weather. It was so good infact. I bought a 15 yards of the black material.

Another option is: Go vinyl on the outside parts of the seats that get worn the most, and keep it leather or sudes in the center.

I still really want to keep it white seats, white under dash and consoles and lower half of doors and steering wheel. I have no problem changing my dress code to adapt to the interior (no jeans to keep it from ripping or tearing or wearing or discoloring) I would rather daily my F50 than the Jag, so I may go with the Marine synthetic leather just so I can keep it clean on the regular and not worry about rubbing the color out or wearing it out.

15. Damicci

Damicci VSC Super Moderator

I would just change the trim and leave the seats and carpet as is.

16. Kouki Monster

Kouki Monster New Member

but that would be like everyone else:biggthumpup:

17. RITZY33

RITZY33 Member

Man just when I had my mind made up to X out the white interior you write this and get me back to wanting it and see it done and completed! Lolz
    The white steering wheel is a lil too much thoe haha but I am liking everything else...just gotta figure out the secondary color to compliment the white so far I'm leaning towards grey, dark navy, or black in that order.
    Can't wait to see what I pull the trigger on:runcoold:

Thanks again!!!!

HAHA for reals...
    Nothing wrong with that but it is discouraging to pull up next to your same make and model and it be exactly the same as yours minus the wheels and maybe ONE or TWO misc mods.:pat:

18. Kouki Monster

Kouki Monster New Member

Yup!

As for compliment color go dark. Reason why a lot of interiors are ruined is cause people don't think things through. Black is to close to gray so they don't compliment well. Gray and white don't work cause white is just a lighter version of gray. It's always good to add some color to in other words monochromatic.

I think cars can get away with nautical theme. So white and navy blues always work really well and so on

19. Damicci

Damicci VSC Super Moderator

What Y33 has Light tan seats with black dash, door panels, center console?

20. VI IX

VI IX Active Member

Nice meeting u today holmes.