Carpet dye?

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Schnitz, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Schnitz

Schnitz Active Member

Anyone ever dyed their carpet? Ive been looking for a black carpet for my '00 LS but I've had no luck.
    So I'm going to dye my beige carpet. It's out of the car and steam cleaned. Now I just have to figure out the best way to tackle this.
    Any thoughts?

2. Juzzo

Juzzo VSC Super Moderator

It's an easy job now that it's outta car and cleaned. Just buy a gallon jar of textile dye, use a spray bottle to apply a coat, after spraying scrub it in fiercely using a hard brush, let it dry couple hours, brush the fibers opposite direction and repeat a few times till no botches are visible:biggthumpup:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  3. MDSC

MDSC New Member

Me three , tan to black dosent seem to be that hard how about dark grey to tan? Btw there's a thread I think the guy that dyed his ls leather also did his carpet from tan to black

4. MDSC

MDSC New Member

Broom, or brush?

5. Juzzo

Juzzo VSC Super Moderator

Yeah my bad, meant brush...

6. Schnitz

Schnitz Active Member

OK.
    Simply Spray = complete waste of time & money (for this project). 7 cans gave 1 light light coat on complete carpet. It really is for tye dyeing t-shirts etc.. Very thin and made a fukkin mess.
    RIT Dye = waste of time. I sprayed the shit out of the carpet but when I rinsed it in a couple hours most of it washed off. I figure the carpet is synthetic so the dye really had nothing to penetrate.
    Dupicolor Vinyl & Fabric paint = good option but you gotta use a shitload. 1 can gave 1 light coat on half the carpet.
    SEM Color Coat = by far the best option. 3 times as much coverage as Duplicolor so it more than justifies the added cost.

I wish I had grabbed the SEM stuff from jump like I was told. DOH!

On a good note, I now have a completely black carpet. Pics to follow.

7. bluwagun

bluwagun New Member

^^^good to hear. Can't wait for the pics

8. KNEXX

KNEXX New Member

I cant wait to see the before and after pictures. Thanks for the the tip.

9. Kouki Monster

Kouki Monster New Member

Black carpet dye from joannes fabric lots of it. kiddie pool, water, soak, rinse repeat. leave black stain on grass= great carpet

10. aristo93

aristo93 Active Member

I can vouch for this lol buddy of mine did the same thing on his S13 black dye cheap kiddie pool from walmart and a nice black stain on his driveway haha carpet came out super black and still is after 1 year

11. 02 camry le

02 camry le New Member

i used the fabric paint ..
    they work fine..but kinda faded after half a month or so

12. SumYungM35

SumYungM35 New Member

i dyed my TSX headliner and pillers and honestly wasnt happy with it @ all... i used this spray can fabric dye... heres some before and after
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    honestly i pulled it out after 2 weeks and wrapped it in suede. the big problem was that any time i touched it or grazed it, it would leave a white mark on it... and couldn't clean it... i spent a lot more time and money then i needed to get the color right... just my two cents

13. L3GDKANG/JDM-KANG

L3GDKANG/JDM-KANG New Member

look up sema dye you will love it!

14. Kouki Monster

Kouki Monster New Member

spray dye is so so. I am surprised it didnt lift the material on the liner when it was done. I try to avoid it as much as possible. Since carpet isnt so much an adhered material to another. You can dye leather and stuff, but even still.. It holds up as I have seen repairs done with it before. But I guess I am still afraid of it rubbing off on clothes haha.

15. spencediggz

spencediggz New Member

What if you want to dye the stitched area, like JP neckpads or pillows to a different color? The letterings is in white, can you change the white color without damaging the leather material?

16. Kouki Monster

Kouki Monster New Member

you could I am sure, but it would be difficult

17. brainneeded

brainneeded Active Member

could just apply it and wipe it off before it sets? i wouldn't try this with anything other than black neckpads though lol.

18. Battleroyale

Battleroyale New Member

Just got done spraying my headliner. Surprised it came it pretty well.